The network organisation

Some years ago whilst working in IT Strategy for one of Australia's largest financial institutions, I read about the networked organisation of the future. The concept seemed quite interesting to me and I now find it amusing that my own organisation is based primarily on this structure.

My company has a team that is distributed around the world. Working in this way has been an experience. One of the things I really like is working on a project and passing tasks to people at the end of the day and then returning to work the next morning to find them complete! It certainly makes some tasks efficient.

The challenge though is communicating. The technology seems to work Ok but is not quite where it needs to be to be considered efficient. I have been using Skype and plugin called Yugma that lets remote users view what I am doing on my desktop. A great tool hampered somewhat by the network.

What collaboration tools do you use and how do you find them?

No comments: